Monday, October 26, 2009

Hi!

Hi everyone!

My name is Mary Yankee and I'm in my third year at Albertus as a Sociology major with an eye to a Master's in Sociology of Law (I don't want to BE a lawyer - I just want to play one on TV! ^_~) I have seven children (good Catholic girl that I am): Aubrey - 27; Alexis - 25; Athena - 18; Brianna - 12; Michaela - 9; plus two 'acting' children (as they say): Taylor - 17; and Nick - 8 (also the only son I've ever had). I'm a bonafide Interfaith Minister - ordained in Saint John the Divine with all of the pomp and circumstance a girl raised Catholic could want. I attended The New Seminary (http://www.newseminary.org) in NYC for the two years prior to the ceremony - an amazing time in my life. Although I am affiliated with The Interfaith Temple of NY, I do more spiritual counseling than preaching.

I have always been involved in the arts, if not vicariously (my sister is an opera singer and has performed at Carnagie Hall twice and my 25 year old is an artist who had her first showing a few years ago at the International Festival of Arts and Ideas in New Haven), then through my own boundless curiousity. I have ecletic tastes in most of everything, although I admit I lean towards the more classical pieces than the modern where art is concerned. I'm open to being educated, however, which is why I took this class. After ten years in an abusive relationship and then another four repairing the damage to myself and my children, I feel completely starved of culture and adult conversation ABOUT culture. My boyfriend, while an admirable man and open to anything I want to drag him to, is more interested in the Patriots, the Yankees and anything to do with muscle cars than which tenor has a better tone than Pavarotti (Placido - hands down). I'm looking forward to visiting the museums for which I would otherwise not find time. (It helps to say that I'm being 'graded' on the visit! ~_^) My 25 year old has already announced her intention of joining me, which makes it a real treat!

Looking forward to connecting with all of you and enjoying your company for this leg of my journey....

4 comments:

  1. Mary, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post! I can't wait to hear about your trips to the museums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    Great Introduction! So sorry about the abusive relationship but congratulations on doing the right thing for yourself and children!

    Do take your 25 yr old along... it will be great for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary,
    You exhibit great courage and strength. You and your family are amazingly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I hope you and your family are doing well and welcome to the class! Museums are the best places for culture, and I completely agree about older art being more your taste.

    ReplyDelete